Ruth King Elementary School October 1st to 5th 2018
Thank you to everyone for helping us practise our Reunification drill on Friday, Sept. 28th and for your patience as we figure out the best plan of action in the event of a real disaster. Our staff made note of things that we will change to make things go more quickly as we want to reunite you with your child as soon as possible and still know where everyone has dispersed. All feedback would be appreciated and if any parents/guardians have expertise in emergency planning and/or evacuation procedures, we would greatly appreciate your input as well. I just want to say thank you to my staff and to Marketa Lund for all your work in making this drill run smoothly. Well done everyone!
|Monday- October 1||
· Whole-School Assembly in the gym at 8:45am
· Cross Country practise for grades 2 – 5 in the gym at 12:15pm with Ms. Pinel.
|Tuesday- October 2||· Popcorn Day – $2 for popcorn or $2 smencils – PAC organized event, please email the PAC if you have questions firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wednesday- October 3||· Elementary Cross Country Meet – 3:30pm at Juan de Fuca|
|Thursday- October 4||· Leadership Meeting for grade 5’s in Ms. van der Leeden’s classroom at 12:15pm|
|Friday- October 5||· Health Hustle is starting this week! 1:30pm in the gym|
- Drop Off and Pick Up – please remember that the front parking lots off Jacklin Rd. are not for drop off or pick up. These parking lots are marked staff only and are not suitable for drop off and pick up as it is dangerous for our students to be walking in this area with all the vehicle traffic. Please use Matson Rd. for drop off and pick up.
- Toys at School – please refrain from sending toys to school with your child unless it is for show and tell or you have made special arrangements with your child’s teacher. Toys from home have been causing some unnecessary friction on the playground and in the classroom.
- Extra Clothes – please send a spare set of clothes with your child in case of accidents and/or wet clothing due to rain. We are heading into fall so there may be more rainy days.
- Lost & Found – there are several hoodies and jackets and other lost items in the foyer of the school. Please come in and check to see if your child is missing anything. Also, it would be very helpful if you could write your child’s name on their belongings so that we know who to give them back to. Thank you for your help with this.
- Verification Packages – please return the forms and fill out the ones online. If you are not able to get online, please let the school know so that we can help you with these.
Just a couple of extra items for you to be aware of.
- Reunification Drill is Friday, Sept.28th at 1:00pm – please get your verification packages back to the school by Tuesday, Sept. 25th so we have time to organize for the drill. Please choose people who are within walking distance to the school to pick up your child. In a real disaster people may not be able to drive.
- We will be honouring Orange Shirt Day this Friday the 28th. We take time on this day to encourage all students to wear an orange shirt to raise awareness of the legacy of residential schools. For more information, please check out this link.
- Parents should only take pictures of their own child at school. Please get permission to take photos before doing so. And finally, please do not post photos on the internet without permission.
- Reminder for parents: please call the school safe arrival number (250)478-1447 if your child is sick or will be absent from school.
Ms. V. Ives
Principal, Ruth King
We know communication between the school and families is important and we’re always looking for different opportunities to connect with you. We’re happy to share that our school now has its own app! Download the Ruth King app to get events, messages and notifications sent right to your phone or tablet. You can check our school calendar and even link up with your child’s class or programs.
The app is a free download on your smart phone or tablet. Find the app here: https://ruthking.appazur.com/help/flyer
All district-wide messages and very important messages will still be sent to your email. The purpose of this app is to compliment the various means of communication we use and to let you control the type of notifications you receive.
Ms. Ives and Ms. Walker
September 21st. @ 11:30 a.m. PAC will be providing a snack for students following the run.
We are collecting Toonie contributions to the Terry Fox Cancer Foundation. Please consider donating if you are able.
September 19, 2018 @ 6 pm.
Families are invited to tour classrooms and meet your child’s teacher(s) from 6:00 to 6:30 p.m. Also to follow is a very important information session in the gym regarding the Reunification drill from 6:30 to 7:00 pm.